Monday, November 9, 2009

Hunting Memories

I know in most families the women tend to stay home during hunting season and enjoy their time without the guys, but not in my family. From November 1983 I have been in the woods with my family riding in a carseat during those early years to riding on the dog box in the back of the truck once I was old enough to hang on. I have so many fond memories of my time in the woods. I would ride with my Papa and Granny most of the time because Papa always had the best snacks. He was the Lil Debbie keeper and my brother and I knew it! My brother once fell off of the dog box trying to catch a Lil Debbie thrown to him by Papa and it knocked the wind right out of him. When I needed a little adventure it was Uncle Terry that I rode with. Why my parents entrusted me with Uncle Terry I will never know? He drove 90 miles per hour down pot-hole ridden dirt roads while I bounced around the cab holding onto Aunt Ronda for dear life! But boy was it fun! Over the years I have gone from a tagalong rider to an actual hunter myself. While I don't like going in the woods when it is dark, never have never will, I enjoy listening to the dogs run and sitting in a stand during daylight hours!! This year is really special for me because we have Gus to introduce to this family tradition. I'm sure he won't remember too much about this first year, but we will take plenty of pictures to show him one day. I know that Gus will want to ride with his Papa and Mae Mae, as Papa keeps his truck stocked with goodies and I'll have to do lots of praying when he wants to ride with his Uncle John, who is often referred to on the CB as "Speed Racer". Lord Help....... it sounds somewhat familiar doesn't it!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have many many great memories at the woods. It's so funny how traditions seem to have just went down the line (such as the lil debbie keeper and the speed racer). I can't wait to see more photos of lil Gus and his hunting adventures. I'm sure he will love the woods as much as his mom and family does :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cute, Lyndsay. I can't wait to see what "he" kills this year.

    ReplyDelete