Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pool Party Anyone?

When I was around 6 or 7 my parents put in a huge underground pool. I still remember watching the big machines dig the hole from my bedroom window. This pool was where we stayed during the summer months. It has hosted many a birthday party for my brother and I. We have so many memories of eating homemade icecream, boiled peanuts and swimming in this pool. Needless to say however, the years have not been kind to the pool. The tile needs to be replaced around the top and the whole bottom and sides need to be resurfaced. These defects result in small leaks that make it almost impossible to keep the chemicals regulated, a fact that drives my mom insane all summer long. She typically lets the pool turn green during the winter and this year was no exception. I didn't take a before picture but it was a MESS! My mom even considered not cleaning it out this year but my dad wanted Gus to be able to swim (let's just say that Gus has my dad completely wrapped)! So Papa and Uncle John pumped out the water and bleached the pool and Gus and I dropped by to see the progress. Of course Gus needed to get in there with Uncle John. This picture is them sitting on the bottom in the deep end in a small puddle of water.

This is Gus trying to climb out because that water was like ice! It felt like being in the springs.We tried it again a little bit later but he still was too chilly to stay in for long. I just know that Gus will have lots of great memories in this pool too (at least once it warms up)!I just had to share this last picture because it cracks me up. It was his first experience with sunglassess which were a little too big. He looks like an elf doesn't he?!!





3 comments:

  1. awwww...I remember some good times at that pool, too! How sweet that Papa is making sure that it's ready for Gus this year!
    He will love it! Love the pic of him in his sunglasses, too cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! Well, I'm glad Gus is going to be a swimmer :) We, too, had some great times in our pool. (My dad is the same way as your mom, he lets it go in the winter...and then when he starts working on it again, we can't swim in it for a while because he's put "Cornbread's Pool Elixer" in it). I can't wait to see pictures of him this summer in the pool. He is one sweet boy, Lyndsay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gus is so funny, Lyndsay. Allie has got to where she talks about him a.l.l. weekend--Gus-sy this and Gus-sy that ;) We can't wait to celebrate his birthday with y'all this weekend!

    ReplyDelete