Growing up her family lived on an island that was only accessible by boat. I can't wrap my head around how isolated she must have grown up. They eventually moved onto the mainland but, like most people during that time, she stayed at home with the family pulling her weight of the chores. My granddaddy, whom I never had the pleasure of meeting, saw a glimpse of her through a screen door while she was ironing and said right then that she was the one he was going to marry even though she was only 16 I think!! They had 10, yes 10, children during their marriage: 6 girls and 4 boys, my mom was #9. Granny has never driven and car. I was told that one of her sons tried to teach her how to drive but she just never got the hang of it or decided there wasn't a point, I'm not sure which. To my brother and I, she has always seemed old so she didn't take us to do things like most people's grandparents do. But she did do everything she could for you if you stopped by to visit, she especially made sure that you had something to eat! She is a great cook and has cooked lunch for her youngest daughter, who lives with her, everyday up until recently. She is a firey woman that will speak her mind but in a quite way that is not offensive. I absolutely adore her and hope that I will be able to see traces of her in me from time to time. We always have her party at my parents camp because it is a bigger facility, although it still isn't big enough!! All of the 9 remaining children were present along with some of their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. There were lots of hugs given, pictures taken, kids playing and catching up. Mom and I try to decorate a little bit, the flower centerpieces had Granny's initials on them and this year I made the birthday cake. By the way purple is her favorite color :)


And this is the guest of honor. I always think of the song "all because two people feel in love" when this side of my family gets together because ya'll it is a massive amount of people. Heaven forbid they all show up one year, I don't know where we would put them or how we would feed them!!!

Sweet, sweet post, Lyndsay! I love the cake you made. it turned out so good.
ReplyDeleteThat's so sweet! Happy birthday to your Granny, its so awesome to know that she's here and gets to see little Gus, be sure to get lots of generation pictures (as I'm sure you already have!)
ReplyDelete