Friday, January 15, 2010
Life is Precious
This morning as I sit in my climate-controlled office in my cushioned chair, I am struck at the blessings that surround me daily that I take so much for granted. My every need is met, my family is safe and sound and healthy, and I don't have a worry (at least not a very serious one) in the world. My, my, what a God we serve! As the news is filled with Haiti and the horrible disaster that has taken place, I can't help but praise God for what he has done for me. But for the grace of God it could be us today... tomorrow...... next hurricane season. Last night, in our local community, an officer was gunned down and lost his life, leaving behind his wife and two small kids. As I was driving home from a work party last night, to my husband and little boy, my heart broke for the wife and what she would be going through at that exact moment. I can't even begin to imagine losing my husband and raising Gus without him. Events such as that remind us that life is precious, temporary and a God-given gift. It should also remind us that our "problems" are minuscule. The empty coffee pot, the slow poke driver in front of us, the annoying co-worker, your ever-growing pile of laundry and dirty dishes are meaningless. I have really taken this to heart today and thought that it might touch someone else too. Please pray for the Haitians and the officer's family and friends and cherish your time with your family today. Overlook the annoyances, such as a shoe left in the middle of the floor or a cup left on the coffe table and thank God that your husband or child is there for you to clean up after.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don’t think that you could’ve written that any better, Lyndsay. Very nice blog; it gives us much to consider. It broke my heart when I heard the news too. All I kept thinking of was the family left behind. I cannot even imagine what they must be going through. Time is valuable, and we should cherish our loved ones while we have them with us. Very good blog. By the way, I love the new layout of your blog, and that picture of the three of y’all is just down-right precious.
ReplyDeleteLyndsay, I've been feeling this way all day. So sad, yet so thankful for my blessings.
ReplyDeleteSo very well said and TRUE!! I was complaining to myself today about having to drive around in a stinky rental car while mine is in the shop. And it stuck me that I need to thank God that I have insurance that provides me with the stinky rental car. I needed a mindset CHANGE!!!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week!
~Becca